Friday, November 28, 2008

Yeah, I'm pretty handy....

Me (Patrick)

This post requires a little introduction.  If you haven't been to our house, our washer and dryer is in the kitchen.  This drives Becky insane.  Why?  Ask her.  I guess its because it is a little unsightly and it takes up (what could be) one-third more counter space for our kitchen.  We have a galley-style kitchen in our narrow, rented townhouse.    

Well, today I started a new project that serves three purposes: 1) hide the washer and dryer, 2) create more counter space, and 3) make Becky happy.  The third reason is the most important.  I decided to make more counter space.  

There were several constraints I had for this project.  It needed to be low-cost (because we're renters), it couldn't be permanent (again, renters), and it had to be easy to make.  (Style and function need not apply.)  A while ago we purchased a butcher block from a lady off of craigslist.  It looks really good.  The light wood really stands out in our kitchen.  I decided to continue this theme with the new counter space.

It literally sits on top of our washer and dryer.  There is nothing permanent about it.  You could walk out of our home with this thing if you wanted (mind you, it weighs 60 plus pounds!).  It was about $60 worth of wood, plus other materials.  I bought two hole-saws, wood glue, four C clamps, and sand-paper.  Luckily, I was able to borrow my father-in-law's sander, which was actually Becky's grandfather's before he passed, so it felt kind of cool to be able to use that.

I learned quite a few things from this project.  First, Home Depot makes cuts for $.25 each in the air conditioning with power tools.  By doing this, I let my father and the entire male community down, but I also saved myself two thumbs, an index finger, several pieces of wood, and about an hour by having them do this.  I recommend it.  Second, patience is key.  You just can't rush carpentry projects, but why would you?  Third, it is important to make sure you have all your materials beforehand.  This saves a trip to Ace Hardware or Home Depot in the middle of your project.  Fourth, Ace is much easier to get in and out of than Home Depot.  The parking lot and store is smaller, the lines are shorter, and all the employees know the store like the back of their hand.  You also feel like you're in a real hardware store.  The biggest benefit is that you're less likely to run into one of those home improvement show hosts buying junk with a camera crew, but that's an entirely different post.

Well, here are some pictures to enjoy:





Note: the wood around the edges is unfinished.  This was not part of my original plan, but it really makes it look awesome.  I'll be making another trip to Home Depot tomorrow to get more wood to finish it off.

3 comments:

Elijah Davidson said...

I am very impressed. No man points will be deducted for having Home Depot make a few cuts for you as long as you leave the edges unfinished.

Becky and Patrick said...

The wood around the edges is unfinished. I was referring to the vertical 1x3's on the wall.

Elijah Davidson said...

Ah. I see. All man points shall remain intact.