Monday, November 10, 2008

Time's "Duh!" of the Year: Married life is different than single life

I thought it would be fun to do what consultants do best: State the bleeding obvious and get paid for it. Only I'm not getting paid for it. What I picture as a smile on your face after reading our blog is enough.

Being married is different than being single. Duh...

However, I'll start with the similarities:

1) Regardless of my marital status, I have to take out the trash and clean the toilets. This did not change. I don't mind taking out the trash or cleaning the toilets, but I don't really get much of an option. I'm not upset, but I found it worth mentioning.

2) Your joy comes from yourself and God. While Becky makes me happy and I make her beyond happy, we still have to make ourselves happy first. Becky does things that I enjoy and they make me happy, but my joy isn't dependent on her actions. We tried this. It doesn't work out well for very long.

3) Becky (to Patrick): I still love Christmas, with or without you. Ouch Charlie! That really hurts!
Patrick: Pie's sweetness is independent of your tax-filing status.

There are differences to being married:

1) While I still take out the trash and clean the toilets, the frequency of which these actions are performed has increased dramatically.

2) Becky makes me happier than ever. The satisfaction I get from our relationship is infinitely more now than it was before. We really get a joy from serving each other however we can. That means cleaning the toilets (for me) and making dinner (for her). Yes, Becky does make dinner and it (usually) tastes good.

3) We see each other more often. This is because we live together. Waking up to the same face everyday is a good sign you spend a lot of time together.

4) We have more family to spend time with. You feel like a part of the family and not an outsider or a guest. Ha! They have to like me and feel obligated to laugh at my jokes! (Unless you're a certain brunette cousin who sells out your Berger Cookie stash!)

Well, that's just a small example of how marriage differs from singleness. They are different, but one is not necessarily better than the other. God certainly has a plan for each of us and you should strive to please the Lord whatever your relationship status is.

1 comment:

Elijah Davidson said...

I used to wake up to your face everyday, Patrick. Now I don't. :(