Saturday, October 18, 2008

Patrick, lover of all things camping

Ok, I'm going to do a little bragging.

As you read, we went camping last night. If you know Patrick, you know he LOVES camping. He loves camping in slightly more fun places than we went last night... Grand Canyon, Glacier, Big Bend, etc. But he's been wanting me to go camping with him forever, and we only had one night, so Brazos Bend it was. He prepared for the trip all week. He was so worried about me enjoying myself that he packed a whole tub full of 'surprises' for when we got there.

He wound up with a migraine on Friday morning, but of course that didn't delay our camping trip. He still spent the afternoon getting things ready, and I left work early and we were on our way.

He thought of EVERYTHING. I know it was the cushiest camping trip he has ever taken. When we got there, he set up the tent and chairs and everything and then got the grill at our campsite fired up and made some hot dogs for dinner. Afterward, he busted out the makings of s'mores and had even bought this kettle thing the night before to take with us so he could boil water and make us hot chocolate. Of course it had been dark for awhile by then, so he had a lantern set up and we played Travel Scrabble by lantern light until we were sleepy. He even blew up an air mattress for us to sleep on! Seriously, if you know him, you know that's not something he would normally do. Not "roughing it" at all. But he did and laid out our sleeping bags and other blankets and it was so cozy and comfy. We could see the stars and the weather was SO nice.

He had packed all the toiletries and everything, so he walked me to the bathroom and waited out there while I used the toothpaste and facewash and everything and then we went and cuddled up under the stars! Patrick is a 'fall asleep when my head hits the pillow' type but he even stayed up and laid there and talked to me before we went to sleep which is definitely a treat.

There were some hiccups after that... none of which his fault (mostly mine). And he was great the whole time. He took really good care of me and thought of absolutely everything to make a perfect camping evening.

I got no pictures. :-( I forgot. I'm sure he's bummed about that too.

But I just wanted to brag a little and say how very thankful I am to have a husband who thinks to take care of me like that. I, Becky Gilgour, promise to go camping more often with my camping-loving husband!

1 comment:

Claire said...

your camping stories make me want to go camping with Russell, and girl, you KNOW I'm not a camper!