Saturday, January 3, 2009

Reminiscing

It was about this time in 2008 that it started to hit me what a ridiculous amount of wedding planning I had left. The first half of 2008 was CRAZY. I did wedding stuff all the time, searched for a place to live, alternated weekends in College Station, etc. In March, we went to Baltimore to have a wedding shower there. In May, Patrick graduated from college at the greatest university of all time. In June, we had an unplanned visit to Baltimore when my uncle passed away from cancer. June was also full of Lindsay's fun wedding things. And July was full of ours, and our honeymoon, Patrick's first day of work, and two other weddings. In August, we took a weekend trip to San Antonio. October was full of Halloween festivities. We had two Thanksgivings in November. We've had a total of at least 8 Christmases since mid December. All of this was done as we tried to adjust to living together and figuring out what our new life would look like. 2008 was very, very good to us. And also very hard at times.

I was thinking about people's differing reactions to the New Year. Last Christmas, we spent one of our Christmases at my aunt and uncle's house, the same uncle who passed away this past June. That day, he was doing very well. He had tried some experimental treatment that was working, he had gained some weight back, and he was pretty healthy. There were no guarantees of course; it was all so up in the air. He had also just broken his arm, their dog had needed surgery, and his boat stopped working. I remember on that day, my aunt said 'We are so ready for 2008.' And I look back at that and think what a bold statement that was. They didn't know what 2008 would bring. And I know it certainly didn't bring what they had hoped for, or what any of us had hoped for. But she was optimistic, and ready to take on a new year and put the rough year behind her.

So I can say, I am ready for 2009. Not that I want to put 2008 behind me. It was a good year. But it's time for 2009, and I usually go into a new year dreading the post-Christmas down time. The lights come down, the season is over. The weather is still all over the place. I have to go back to work, no vacation for awhile. But if a person faced with the reality of how uncertain the future is can face the new year head on, so can I. So look out 2009! I will do whatever is in my power to spend time with friends and family, do a better job of letting go of work when I get home, working on our resolutions, and enjoying our life. I won't be under the impression that if I think happy thoughts, nothing bad will happen in 2009. But either way, here I come. I am excited to see what is in store.

No comments: