Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm so domestic!

Before we got married, my cooking abilities were limited to chicken crescent roll ups, macaroni, and peanut butter and jelly. Oh and spaghetti. A turkey sandwich for lunch every now and then. Honestly, that's what I lived on in college. I'm sitting here trying to think of other meals I ate, and there were very very few of them. Most of which someone else cooked. Apparently everyone knows this about me, so I got cookbooks from the day we got engaged, throughout the shower process, to the wedding day. I was perfectly content for the first month or so we were married. Patrick likes to grill, and I can handle a salad or some veggies or pasta or whatever went with the meat. But then I decided I should probably cook some. So of course I started very simple. I got a magazine with some 20 minute meals in it and have tried I think 5 so far. One was kinda gross, but the others have been pretty good. Definitely a learning process. But Patrick gets SO excited when he comes home from work and I am about to put dinner on the table. So that's nice. I had a unique ravioli recipe (I know... it doesn't sound hard, and it's not but it's not just throwing it in boiling water and heating sauce!) I think that's been the favorite so far. But I know he likes it because he raves about it all evening and the whole next day and they are not all that impressive, the meals. So I guess it's my domestic attempts that count.

September is not my favorite month because it keeps me from October when I can decorate for fall. I know September is fall-ish but not in Houston. It's super hot, and it would be ridiciulous to put up lovely fall decorations as if the seasons had changed here. Even though I know it will be hot some in October, by that time I will determine that the Gilgour household will be fall in October and full of fall decor. I LOVE decorating for holidays/seasons/birthdays, you name it! I have decorations for just about every occasion. Last year, since I was living at home with my parents, I didn't have a need for decorations. So I waited and bought decorations after holidays were over on clearance. And now I have even more of them! It's so fun. I did notice that decorations at Marshalls are pretty much cheap even before holidays, so I may have to check that out because I am such a sucker for them. And for cheap things.

Speaking of, this month marks our first attempt at being full blown, Dave Ramsey gazelle intense. :-) (You'd have to be a Ramsey follower to get that.) So we are going on an envelope system. This means I will start carrying cash around in envelopes. I am actually pretty excited about paying attention to where our money goes; that has always been more my thing than Patrick's so I'm glad we get to be on the same page in this. Anyway, hopefully we'll really stick to it and watch our savings grow! Woo hoo! Retirement at 35, here we come! Haha. Well... we'll see anyway.

3 comments:

Elijah Davidson said...

My parents do the envelope system and have for years. It's a good system.

Patrick said...

I know where my money goes.... REI and woot.com!

Elijah Davidson said...

But will there be an REI envelope?