Friday, February 13, 2009

We did our VDay-ing a day ahead. Take that Hallmark!

This is Patrick. Let me say something that may make the world hate me. I have mixed feelings on VDay. I think the whole idea has become over commercialized, much like Christmas and Easter. However, Christmas and Easter are important celebrations central to our faith. On the other hand, Valentine's Day is only central to Hallmark's 1Q financial report.

I don't mean to be cynical, I really don't. In fact, I read a great blog on VDay this morning, making me neutral. I am not opposed to the idea of taking a day to rekindle romance and let someone know how much they mean to you. I am opposed to the current-day chocolate and card obligation with the intention of merely checking off a holiday to-do list.**

I know how much Becky desires to be pursued. After a good Google Chat with Chris, I walked away (rather, signed off) knowing that our wives only want to feel thought of, not robotically Kroger-outdoor-flower-stored.

I digress. After having these mixed feelings for several days, I decided to buck our routine Valentine's Day. Instead of buying her chocolates and taking her out to dinner, I decided to make her a romantic dinner and let her know that I care about her.

I went to Costco on my lunch break, picked out a few fine selections, and got stuck behind some foreigners who made me late back to work. On my way home I stopped and got a few more items. Before Becky got home I had the white table cloth and china out on our table. She was pretty excited. We were both much more excited than our usual Valentine's Day entitlement attitude.

I made a roast, garlic mashed potatoes, some rice, a salad, and I made brownies for dessert! Please enjoy the pictures below.




**Disclaimer: If you take time to get your significant other (s.o.) a nice gift with the intent of woo-ing them, please do.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Aw so sweet. I'm excited about tomorrow... :)

I read the Resurgence blog post last night, but here's another good one that I found- it reminds me a lot of what your post is about.

http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001969.cfm