Monday, February 9, 2009

Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as he loved himself

On Sunday, my pastor preached on how love wins in friendship and used the story of Jonathan and David, two best friends, as his illustration. It was a great sermon. I loved hearing how God designed friendship and seeing that present in my life with my friends.

To start, I never thought I'd have the kinds of friends that I do, so I certainly don't take them for granted. I didn't have friends like I do now when I was younger. Sure, I had great friends, but not Jonathan-like friends. And to be fair, I wasn't really a friend like Jonathan was to anyone else.

I wouldn't trade my friends for anything. I love my friends like I love myself and I hurt when they hurt and we share each other's successes and it is good. Our God is good and friendships are good.







From Road Trip of a lifetime


And I'm the worst friend in the world for not having taken a picture with Chris at any point in my life.


From Brazos Bend SP

I'm also friends with Becky, too, but that's a little different....

4 comments:

Becky and Patrick said...

I just want to note that a particular Jonathan Breen is looking particularly hip and stylish in the wedding picture. :-)

Becky and Patrick said...

And also that you should adopt a David into your friends so that you can LITERALLY live out the Jonathan and David scripture.

You guys make me laugh.

Becky

Elijah Davidson said...

Awww! I'm tearing up here.

And my last name is Davidson. That's gotta count.

Unknown said...

It is a little known fact, but in 1 Samuel 20:34 when Jonathon leaves the table in anger at Saul for his treatment of David, he actually left pie. It truly was an act of courage and intestinal fortitude.