Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm a good American

I always tell Becky I'm a good American. I really am. I'm honest, fair, and proud of our country. I work hard, but am still polite to the elderly. I care about the less fortunate.

Tonight was a good example of my good-American-ness. We left the Flick's (our small group leader's house) and were going to drive by the McGown's (he used to be our youth minister and married us) because he always has an award-winning Christmas light display and, to be honest, Becky and I are suckers for a good Christmas light display. We drove by their house, gave it three thumbs up (one for each arm) and were on our way.

We were on our way home when I saw a little puppy wandering down the sidewalk on his own. I thought there was no way for that to be good, so I turned on the hazards, pulled over, called the little pup, and went in search of his home. I went to the closest house to see if it was their dog and they gave me a good lead, saying that it looked like their old neighbor's dog who just moved thinking the dog might have wandered "home" after the big move. So, like Detectives Benson and Stabler (from Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit), I followed up on this lead. They said they would keep it and contact their landlord (whose dog it may have been). Then, another neighbor came up the drive and said the little dog was his. I was excited and sad, because I knew if this dog couldn't find its true home, he would become mine. He was the cutest, sweetest little guy who just nuzzled up right next to me. My heart melted.

But he found his way home and I'm a good American for doing this.

No comments: