Sunday, March 1, 2009

What happens in King City, stays in King City

This weekend we went to Missouri to see my family. My grandparents (dad's parents) live in a small town in northwest Missouri (both my mom's and dad's parents live here). They have a beautiful home that I love going to and never seems to change (follow the link for more).

From White Christmas

Their house covered in Snow, Christmas 2007



View Larger Map
Just how small? See for yourself.


We left after lunch on Thursday, landed in Kansas City, were promptly picked up by my wonderful grandparents, taken out to dinner at Cheddar's, and then shuttled to their house, our retreat for the weekend. We hung out for the rest of the evening and caught up on some news.

Friday morning we ate breakfast and went to visit my Great Grandma in St. Joe. We chatted for a few minutes, went to run some errands, and I somehow managed to con them into taking me out for pie. After pie, we went to see my Aunt Cathy and her cute grandson. That evening we went to my Aunt Kim's house (my mom's sister) for homemade pizza and to see all of them. It was great! I got to see all of my cousin's and their kids and hung out for a couple hours.

It snowed a lot late Friday night/ early Saturday morning, so we spent most of the day in the house. My grandpa (mom's dad) had the flu, so I went out to visit him for a few minutes on his farm in the country. Fun story: since we were only going up for a weekend, Becky and I packed really light. I had one pair of brown "casual shoes" that aren't tennis shoes, but aren't dress shoes, kind of a hybrid of both. So I went out to the farm in a T-shirt and my wool coat, basically was dressed like I was going to the mall. I get out to the farm and my grandpa wants to go close a gate about a mile away. Well, he was too sick to leave the house and I had a pretty good idea of where the gate was (I usually spend a day helping him on the farm when I have more time), so I went off to close the gate on my own. Here I am, walking in 6" of snow, dressed for the mall, heading out to the field to check cows and close gates! Needless to say, I looked like a complete idiot!

I got home Saturday evening and my Grandmother had made fried chicken and a coconut cream pie for dinner and dessert! It was fantastic! I did a little to earn my keep (put in a new showerhead and shoveled some snow), but nothing to deserve a pie that good.


Look at that pie! Mmmmmm


Sunday morning we woke up about 8, I had pie for breakfast (duh...), took a shower, packed, and we headed to Blue Springs to meet my uncles and aunts and cousins(dad's brother's and their wives and children) for lunch at a Chinese buffet. After lunch we went back to my Uncle Richard's house to watch the Missouri and Kansas basketball game. It was not a good day for Missouri. We left their house for the airport, were delayed getting home about an hour, and had an uneventful flight home.

It was a great weekend! I think Becky read about two years worth of my Grandmother's Martha Stewart magazines, so I kind of have my hopes up for a new recipe...


We had a great trip!

No comments: