Saturday, March 21, 2009

Like a Young Adult at the Deli Counter

If you know me (Patrick), you know I love to eat (almost) more than anything. My wife doesn't feel the same way, which sometimes becomes a source of tension between us. Becky eats to live, I live to eat. This, obviously, is most present at the grocery store. She goes in with a list and only wants to get those things. I want to walk to all of the counters and see what's going on.

Where this is most present is in our selection of lunch meats. Becky gets the same Hillshire Farms turkey in a box each week. Yes, I did say, "turkey in a box". I know, turkey does not come in a box. I eventually could no longer take this. I started going to the deli counter to get my own cold cuts.

But Patrick, isn't that more expensive? About a year ago, Becky and I read Smart Couple's Finish Rich. In this book, the author makes the argument that you should save wisely and identify several areas in life that are most important to you and spend your money on those things and filter out expenses that don't matter. I mean, that makes sense, right? Well, I've identified eating as one of my favorite things to do.

So it's okay that I spend marginally more money on these things. I spend more time on food, too. I plan vacations and evenings around eating. Some of my greatest moments are sharing meals with great friends.

Last week I got some great black forest ham and this week I chose pastrami.



Mmmmm, boy!

No comments: