Saturday, November 17, 2012

Poop and circumstance

I keep having people say things like 'you seem to be handling the parenting transition so well' and 'you look like you have it all together.'

Apparently I am really good at the 'fake it til you make it' approach because neither of those statements are true.

Exhibit A: yesterday morning, I had a pretty serious to-do list. Everett is 7 weeks old (yesterday) and for the first 6 weeks, I didn't try to accomplish anything other than eating regularly and showering most days and keeping us both alive. But life is happening again now, and yesterday I needed to at least start cleaning my house for various things we have coming up and go to the grocery store, along with a few other things. The grocery store was first up on the list after I fed E in the morning. I have discovered that, because my life revolves around when he needs to eat again, I only get so much time between feedings and in order to maximize my time I must be completely prepared to leave the house before I wake him up from a nap. The key is for me to be dressed, have everything needed for both of us in the car, and then wake him up, feed, change diaper and stick in car so I get the full amount of time before we start the process over.

So after I woke him up and fed him this particular time, I was hurrying to change his diaper (which is really where the laughing should begin) and get him in the car. I knew this was going to be a unpleasant diaper by the smell and by the fact that he had stopped eating several times to concentrate. And I was right. So I started getting him all cleaned up and while I was trying to hold him down with one hand and clean him up with the other, I heard him start making a smacking noise with his lips. I looked up and he was peeing straight into his mouth. And then, in my attempt to quickly get him to stop licking pee off his face, I smeared a wipe that had poop on it right on his face.

Needless to say, I do not have it all together. And I put all that in writing because I feel like moms are constantly looking at other moms thinking that said other mom has it more 'together'. So I just want to set the record straight that when it comes to me, that's not the case. On the other hand, the amount of understanding from other moms is glorious. Yesterday, the woman behind me in line at HEB took the groceries out of my cart for me. She said she had 5 kids and knew what it was like to have your hands full.

I will leave you with an adorable picture of my sweet boy who hates tummy time, but I captured a moment of cuteness before the crying ensued. And another cute picture just because.

Here's to not having it all together!

No comments: